10 reasons to get involved
1. VOLUNTEERING MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE - Research consistently shows that kids whose parents are involved in their school do better.
2. VOLUNTEERING OFFERS TANGIBLE WAYS TO BE PART OF THINGS - Sometimes we might mean well, but our busy lives get in the way of committing. Joining a parent volunteer group will provide concrete ways to get involved, whether at events, in the classroom, or on a committee.
3. IT FEELS GREAT TO PARTICIPATE - Your child spends a lot of time at school, and it's great to share some of his/her school-related experiences with him/her.
4. YOU'LL GET TO KNOW OTHER PARENTS - It's powerful to create a circle of adult friends around a school, and having a shared interest is a good place to start. What's more, it can hep foster connections between families in your community.
5. YOUR HELP IS ALWAYS NEEDED - Whether it's helping run the next big event, providing support in the classroom, or serving up food in the concession stand, there are always ways to pitch in.
6. IT'S A MANAGEABLE COMMITMENT - Volunteering can seem daunting, but it doesn't have to be. Spend an hour helping with lunch or support your child's teacher in the classroom, and your efforts will be appreciated. And remember, it's always OK to say no when you're busy.
7. IT'S FUN - Even small, simple events can spice up your week.
8. YOU CAN TAILOR VOLUNTEERING TO PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTHS - Within a school community there are many ways to contribute, some of which are sure to compliment your strengths, interests, or professional skills.
9. HAVE A GREAT IDEA? - Volunteering gives you opportunities to get your ideas out there.
10. VOLUNTEERING PROVIDES ANOTHER WAY TO GET TO KNOW LCS SCHOOL AND SUPPORT STAFF - to better understand their needs and ideas